Applications for the June 2019 Residential Clore Short Course are now CLOSED
Who is eligible to apply for the Short Course?
We are looking for a diverse range of participants who will bring a breadth of experience to the course and animate the group learning. To help us create the best possible mix of people we will be looking for applicants who can demonstrate:
- An ambition to lead, a sense of purpose and vision
- A desire to better understand leadership
- Self-awareness, authenticity and openness to learning
- A commitment to and passion for the cultural sector
- A curiosity as to the wider context of culture
- Our courses are supported by Arts Council England and to be eligible for a subsidised place applicants must be:
- Working in England (normally in the arts, museums and/or libraries sector)
- Committed to developing their career as a cultural leader in England
- Have at least five years’ work experience. NB this is a minimum criteria. If you just meet the five years’ criteria you might want to consider our Emerging Leaders course.
- Wellcome Trust supported places are available for leaders working within Arts in Health. To be eligible for a Wellcome Trust supported place you must be:
- Working in England with a track record of engaging the public with science, health or wellbeing
Some unsubsidised places are available on each course for those who do not meet the Arts Council England criteria e.g. archivists or those who do not live and work in England. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Before you apply
Check your Eligibility
Carefully read all the Short Course information provided above to see if it’s the right fit for you and whether you are eligible to apply. If in any doubt, please contact Lyndsey Douglas, Learning and Courses Coordinator on Lyndsey.Douglas@cloreleadership.org to confirm you are eligible.
Check your Availability
Check your availability for the dates of the course you are applying for. If you work for an organisation, you’ll need to talk to your employer about taking the time out for your residential course.
Find a Nominator
You will need to find a nominator who will support your application. Your Nomination is an assessed part of the application process, so it is important to select your Nominator carefully. We advise applicants to select someone who knows you well, can comment on your leadership potential and how you might develop further. Make sure they will have the time to complete a nomination form before the application deadline.
Making Your Application Online
Application is by online form via our applications website users.cloreleadership.org
If you have never used it before, you will need to register an account. Please make sure that you read the instructions on the application website carefully and that you save the draft of each section as you complete it. Clicking the 'submit' button submits the relevant section to our system after which you can no longer edit that section. We recommend that you complete all the main sections and save the draft of each one, so that you can check them at the end before submitting them. If you think you may need to complete your application in a different way, please go to our section on Alternative Formats for Applications, below.
Your Nominator will be asked to complete a nomination form before you can submit your final application. Full details are provided on the online application form or through your alternative application format. It is important to ask someone who knows you, who understands your leadership potential and who can identify how attending the Short Course will benefit you and the wider sector.
Once you submit all sections and your Nominator completes the nomination form, it will unlock a Monitoring Section that you need to complete before your submission is finalised.
The Monitoring Section helps us to know who we are reaching with our programmes but is not assessed or visible to assessors.
What you’ll be asked to submit
You will be asked to:
- Write or relay short essay responses to questions on your leadership experience and ambitions.
- Tell us about your professional experience.
- Include a nomination form which will need to be completed by your nominator.
Alternative Formats for Applications
If, for any reason, you need to make your application in a different format e.g. offline or explained in British Sign Language (BSL) through an interpreter, then please contact us.
For instance, we may be able to support with costs for an interpreter to voiceover your filmed submission or we will make a translation of your application once we receive it. Please let us know if you wish to make your application in a different way. You will still be expected to make a full submission before the deadline.
If you require assistance in this or completing the application form, don’t hesitate to let us know. Please email email@example.com or call one of our team on 020 7420 9433.
Your Provisional Offer
Successful applicants will be sent a provisional offer of a place on the course. Offers for the 2019 spring and summer courses will be made by the end of November 2018.
Tips for Writing a Great Application
Over the years we have read thousands of applications. We have put together a few tips you might want to consider to help strengthen your application: Courses Application Tips